Questions: Section 5
- What tiny creatures gave the expedition party the most trouble?
- About how much meat did each man in the expedition eat each day?
- Who took responsibility for seeing that the men ate a more balanced diet?
- Who saved valuable papers and instruments when a boat was capsizing?
- What did Clark expect to see when he got to the top of a high mountain? What did he actually see?
- Why was Sakakawea so happy when she saw the Shoshone chief? What was his name?
- What did the expedition get from the Shoshone?
- What did the expedition members see on November 7, 1805?
- What did Sakakawea get to do 119 years before American Indians were given this right by the U.S. government?
Critical Thinking Question
- Explain how Clark probably felt when he looked west from the top of what he thought was the highest peak of the Rocky Mountains.