St. Anthony Heat Recovery Project A closer look at Basin Electric Power Cooperative's St. Anthony REG project. Photo courtesy of Basin Electric.
- Gas pipelines located in North Dakota are a ready source for recovered energy generation (REG).
- REG is low cost, and no fuel is needed.
- REG systems are simple to operate and entail low maintenance.
- No pollution results from producing electricity by REG.
A 2008 map of natural gas pipelines and compressor stations for the United States. Map courtesy of U.S. Energy Information Administration.
- Recovered energy provides a reliable source of power.
- Power would still be available during blackouts.
- REG is a new technology with promising job opportunities in a growing industry.