Questions: Section 3
- The word “tipi” is a Sioux word that means what?
- What is a cone-shaped tent covered with hides called?
- What is the permanent home of the agricultural tribes called?
- Because there were no yards in the earthlodge villages, where did the children and dogs play?
- What kept the children and dogs from falling into the smoke holes?
- Where did adults sleep in the earthlodges?
- Where did children sleep in the earthlodges?
- Earthlodges were common homes of which tribes?
- What was the main type of home used by the Chippewa people?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Tipis, earthlodges, and wigwams all had smoke holes in their roofs. Why did the smoke go out of these holes rather than just spreading out and filling up the home with smoke?
- Why would wigwams be better than earthlodges as homes for people who lived in forested areas?