Questions: Sections 1-2
- Who signed the Homestead Act? When did it take effect? What did it offer?
- Following the requirements of homesteading and receiving the deed to the land was called what?
- Name six requirements for obtaining a homestead.
- The Timber Culture Act allowed individuals to obtain land by planting what?
- What law allowed individuals to buy land they were already living on?
- What area of the state had the first homestead claims?
- The name “Centralia” was changed to what? The name “Worthington” was changed to what?
- What did the Northern Pacific Railroad have to sell in North Dakota?
- Who was president of the Northern Pacific Railroad?
Critical Thinking Question
- Explain why the first homesteading claims in northern Dakota were in the Pembina area.