Questions: Section 9
- Which company was offered the job of building a transcontinental railroad across the northern part of the United States?
- On what date did the Northern Pacific Railroad enter Dakota at Fargo?
- What did the Northern Pacific rename Edwinton in trying to persuade Germans to invest in the railroad?
- In what year did the Northern Pacific reach Montana? The Pacific Coast? What year was the railroad bridge across the Missouri River built?
- Who had a goal of building a railroad through unsettled land and bringing in settlers? What was his nickname?
- What was the second transcontinental railroad to cross North Dakota?
- What major railroad line crossed the state diagonally from southeast to northwest?
- What system of communication was used by the railroads? What special “language” was used to send messages?
- Where were train locomotives turned around?
Critical Thinking Question
- Do you think Jim Hill deserved his nickname? Explain.