Questions: Sections 1-2
- What city is located at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers?
- Who established the first American trading post in North Dakota? What was the name of the post?
- What did John Jacob Astor organize?
- What is the northern part of the Missouri River called?
- Name the largest and most successful fur company in the United States. What two major forts did this company build in North Dakota?
- Who built Fort Union? Where?
- What was the most important and longest-lasting trading post on the Upper Missouri?
- What trading post was built by James Kipp for the American Fur Company?
- What was one of the most prized possessions of a fort? Why?
Critical Thinking Question
- If you were working at a fur trading post, what job would you like to do? Explain.