Questions: Section 3
- Name the first European settlement in North Dakota that included women and children. Where was it located?
- Who brought shiploads of families from Scotland to the Red River Valley?
- Who led the survey in 1823 which located the 49th parallel?
- On what date was the U.S. flag displayed at Pembina?
- The residents of Pembina were surprised to learn what?
- Hudson’s Bay Company ordered all of its employees in Pembina to do what?
- The Selkirk colonists moved from Pembina to where?
- After the border between the United States and Canada was determined, what company left North Dakota, and what company moved into Pembina?
Critical Thinking Question
- Explain why the Hudson’s Bay Company established a trading post in the United States, and why they later pulled out of the United States.